2008 STI w/NAV, ADS-RR/KW-M740BT

Group using the SU1 and SU2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Derek79
New User

2008 STI w/NAV, ADS-RR/KW-M740BT

Post by Derek79 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:54 pm

I have upgraded the factory NAV head unit to a JVC KW-M740BT. I followed the wiring diagram given by idatalink, and also referenced https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpo ... stcount=11 for the car side and to wire up the new HU.

Everything works except I get an OBD2 error and the gauged on the HU don't work. I upgrade the HU to the latest firmware. The head prompts me that there is a connection problem and if I want to do connection test thing, and the dash flashes a couple of the lights, the RPM sweeps but it doesn't do anything else.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2008 STI w/NAV, ADS-RR/KW-M740BT

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:39 am

What is the specific OBD error you're getting? Error 1, 2, OBD2 disconnected?

What wires did you hook up to at the OBD2? And what color wires from the maestro? People commonly hook up Red/Brown and Yellow/Brown, instead of Brown/Red and Brown/Yellow (they're pinned very close to each other, so it's an easy mistake).
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Derek79
New User

Post by Derek79 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:50 pm

Sorry didn't notice it was specific on the screen. OBD2 error 1 is what it shows. I hooked up according to the drawing, but maybe I got those colors reversed.

I will double check the wiring. I got a bit frustrated, so I got it back together for my upcoming work 'week'. I'll be off Monday morning 6am and I will get back to you. Maybe sooner, depends on how anxious, and how quickly I get over being frustrated lol.

Derek79
New User

Post by Derek79 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:53 am

OK I got back to it. I ran a continuity check, and I wasn't getting anything on the red wire. So I said screw it, opened up the insulation and just did an inline solder, wrapped it with tape and double backed zip tied it. Works like a charm. And dang I get far more data than I thought I would.

Now if I could find out why the MPG is different on the dash display than the head unit. Car is heavily modified. Anyways, thanks! Now that I got it working, great product!!! Now I'll figure out some extra buttons for the SWC.

Derek79
New User

Post by Derek79 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:26 am

Ok I got back to it today. I pulled the OBD2 plug down, and I got the right wires. I pulled the HU and check continuity from OBD2 plug to RR plug.... thats a negative. I think I used the wrong sized "t taps". Whatever, I don't got time to screw with this. So I took a section of insulation off at the OBD2 and did an inline solder splice, double it back and zip tied. It works of course.

I don't know whats standard but the idatalink-RR and the JVC KW-M740BT provides far more data than I thought it would. Thanks for that.

Only regret is the JVC unit doesn't use an eternal GPS antennae to get a more accurate fix. The port labelled for 'GPS module' is actually for a Sirius XM tuner... which is not the same thing. So I am going to put the tuner back in and see if it will give GPS data to the HU but I doubt it. Disappointing, but not a game changer on that front.

Return to “Subaru”