Maestro RR with Automatic Pro?

Group using the TO1 and TO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
rubin110
New User

Maestro RR with Automatic Pro?

Post by rubin110 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:32 am

Hi there, this is what I've got...

Toyota Prius Plug-In 2012
Automatic Pro - https://automatic.com/pro/
Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX
Maestro RR
TO2 kit plus some extra things to get the USB port and antenna working
Random OBD II splitter - http://a.co/d/4X1J2tG

The Automatic Pro is an OBD II device that provides some car stats and GPS over the cell network back to your phone. It's been working great since I got it. Yesterday I did an install of the new head unit along with the Maestro RR and ran into some issues.

When both Automatic Pro and the Maestro RR OBD plug are connected at the same time through the splitter, Automatic Pro works fine however the head unit will not power down when the car shuts off. If I manually turn it off, it'll randomly turn on and shut off continuously.

When Automatic Pro is plugged in to the OBD port but the Maestro is not, the backup camera will randomly pop up on my head unit even though I'm not going in reverse.

When Automatic Pro is unplugged from the OBD port, but the Maestro is plugged in, everything on the head unit works as intended.

I've triple checked my wiring with a multimeter, and verified all pin outs. I've also reflashed the Maestro RR. So my assumption is either the OBD splitter is trash, or simply put that Maestro doesn't play well with Automatic Pro. I'm hoping to run into someone else on here that also has an Automatic Pro and knows what's up.

Thanks!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Maestro RR with Automatic Pro?

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:58 am

If you trace the gray/red wire from the OBD2 up to the TO2 harness and cut into the harness, you will find that the gray/red connects to a heavy gauge red wire through a resistor. Cut out the resistor and the connection to the red wire so that the gray/red wire just runs into the RR. That should take care of it.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

rubin110
New User

Post by rubin110 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks for the reply.

So I should not attempt the diode on the OBD II wire, and just cut out the resistor?

Will try to give it a try tomorrow.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:23 am

Correct; don't use a diode, just cut out the resistor.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

rubin110
New User

Post by rubin110 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Sorry for the late reply. This totally fixed my issue and I'm now able to use both without the head unit randomly turning on. I would recommend updating your installation PDF to include that tip in case others run into it.

Thanks so much for your help!

thedocdm
New User

Post by thedocdm » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:58 am
If you trace the gray/red wire from the OBD2 up to the TO2 harness and cut into the harness, you will find that the gray/red connects to a heavy gauge red wire through a resistor. Cut out the resistor and the connection to the red wire so that the gray/red wire just runs into the RR. That should take care of it.
Hi there,
Similar issue, I think. I have a Navdy heads-up display, and various vehicle readings spike periodically if it's plugged into the OBDII splitter with the Maestro. Should I try the resistor?
Thanks!
Jon

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Is your radio staying powered on when the key is off? That is the only thing that removing the resistor will fix.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

thedocdm
New User

Post by thedocdm » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Ah, no. Should I start a new post, or continue this thread?

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:24 pm

The two devices are likely not playing nice together. If your other product uses the same HSCAN connections in the harness then the two will certainly cause each other some conflict
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “Toyota”