SW Phone Controls Not Responding Ram Promaster

Carmen
New User

SW Phone Controls Not Responding Ram Promaster

Post by Carmen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:45 pm

'18 Ram Promaster and just installed 4000NEX head unit with external amplifier and CH3 configured per the instructions. I connected the OBDII plug but I guess it doesn't work with the 4000NEX, correct?

Everything else works except SW phone buttons. Volume and mute for music is fine. Any troubleshooting suggestions for the phone buttons would be appreciated. Also, do I need to use the pioneer microphone or should the factory mic. work? Thank you.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: SW Phone Controls Not Responding Ram Promaster

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:39 pm

The gauges, which is what we are using the OBD2 connection for, do not work on models prior to the 4200NEX. As far as the steering wheel controls, the BT buttons should function for you. Answer and hang up commands only work if you are on an active call, or have one coming in at the time. They will not activate a phone menu or dialpad etc that you may have gotten with your factory radio. And yes, you will need to use the aftermarket radio's microphone with your install. We do not retain uConnect in those vehicles, so it needs the aftermarket mic to do calling or any voice activated functions the radios is able to do.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Carmen
New User

Post by Carmen » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:17 pm

I appreciate your prompt response. I did another check and everything works as you described once I plugged in the microphone. I guess I was thinking I could initiate a call with the call button so didn't go any further. I will also unplug the OBD2 connector and leave the mating black connector disconnected as it currently is. Sounds like I'm good to go. Thank you for great technical support. Cheers!

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Great
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Carmen
New User

Post by Carmen » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Hello,
I thought things were good but after I did some other work now I notice the odometer and clock lights flashing. Since the gauges do not function on the NEX4000 I had removed the OBD2 plug. Thinking that is the problem I reconnected the OBD2 plug but still have the flashing lights. Do I need to reset the RR? If I do does that also require reflashing it? Thank you.

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:26 pm

We get CAN info for other things in that application from the OBD2 port, so yes it will seill need to be connected. And yes, you might need to do the hard reset on the RR afterwards.
Zack Flynn
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Return to “CH3 radio replacement solution”