2010 Subaru Legacy ~ Pioneer Install

Group using the SU1 and SU2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
carpenterltd
New User

2010 Subaru Legacy ~ Pioneer Install

Post by carpenterltd » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Make/Model/Trim:
Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Options:
Factory Navigation | Factory Amplifier | Harmon Kardon Audio

Aftermarket:
Pioneer Avic-8200NEX Receiver | Pioneer GMD9601 Amp/s | Pioneer GMD9605 Amp/s | Pioneer Speakers

Background:
I currently have 4 mid-range speakers & 4 tweeters set-up and powered by the Pioneer GMD9605 amp. Both amp channel inputs (A/B) on the amp are using 2-1 RCA splitters, so I can hook-up 4 speakers to each channel. I used to have another GMD9605 amp to separate the tweeters from the mid-ranges, but sold it, and this amplifier works just fine to power all 8 speakers; with different frequency ranges for each channel.

RCA Front (L) Out on the stereo is connected to Channel A (L) ~splitter~ on the amp (L/R front mid-ranges)
RCA Front (R) Out on the stereo is connected to Channel A (R) ~splitter~ on the amp (L/R rear mid-ranges)
RCA Rear (L) Out on the stereo is connected to Channel B (L) ~splitter~ on the amp (L/R front tweeters)
RCA Rear (R) Out on the stereo is connected to Channel B (R) ~splitter~ on the amp (L/R rear tweeters)

I currently have both Pioneer subwoofers set-up and powered by a pair of Pioneer GMD9601 amps.

RCA S/W/L) Out on the stereo is connected to (L) Input on the amp
RCA S/W/R) Out on the stereo is connected to (R) Input on the amp
Amp 1 RCA (L) is connected to Amp 2 RCA (L) Input to share RCA signal
Amp 1 RCA (R) is connected to Amp 2 RCA (R) Input to share RCA signal

Issue 1:
I'm having a very difficult time figuring out why my installation is not producing any sound at all. After much trial and error, I have the steering wheel controls fully functional; however there is no sound being produced from my speakers.

The instructions say to plug in the provided RCA cables from the Maestro RR/SU1 kit (Front L/R) & (Rear L/R) to the F/R RCA audio input on the receiver, so I did that using a 2-1 RCA splitter.

Issue 2:
I do not know why, but my car interface does not display any readings at all. The screen shows me an error which states: "Ignition Is Off!"

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: 2010 Subaru Legacy ~ Pioneer Install

Post by Zack Flynn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:41 pm

So are you using aftermarket amplifiers to power all the speakers in your vehicle? If so then you want to make sure that the module is flashed to NOT retain the OE amplifier during the "OE systems to retain" part of the flashing procedure, and the audio wiring from the SU1 harness wouldn't be used. You would connect the audio input to your aftermarket amplifiers to your radio's RCA outputs.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

carpenterltd
New User

Post by carpenterltd » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:44 pm

So I should disconnect the maestro rr's Rca cable from the audio input on my stereo?

carpenterltd
New User

Post by carpenterltd » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:32 pm

What about my second issue? The error I get?

So you're saying to leave every audio connection from the SU1/RR kit non-connected and leave my rcas where they were? (connected from the head unit to the amps)... What of the amp signal wire? Should I splice it into the signal wire from the head unit to the amps?

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:29 pm

If the factory amplifier is not being used, and everything was previously connected to the headunit and the aftermarket amplifiers, then you will not be using any of the audio connections in the SU1 harness. The aftermarket amplifiers will need to be connected to the headunit's remote turn on lead as well, to be told when to turn on. The RR does not do anything with the aftermarket amps, soundwise or turn o related, only if you were still using the factory amp.

As for your ignition off message on the radio. How did you make your connections at the OBD2, plug in or hardwired? If those connections are correct then you may want to reset the RR and have it try to redetect the platform of car it is in, although you will still want to reflash the unit and turn factory amplifier retention off first. If those things don't get you going there, you would be best to call us and trouble shoot in real time.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

carpenterltd
New User

Post by carpenterltd » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 pm

I see... I wasn't sure if the audio connections were needed somehow.. Great! Yes, it's plugged directly into the obd2...

Return to “Subaru”