2017 Chrysler 300s

8-Channel Interactive Signal Processor w/ Integrated iDatalink Maestro Module
Post Reply
raddddix
New User
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 pm

2017 Chrysler 300s

Post by raddddix » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 am

I got a 2017 Chrysler 300s with beats audio 8.4 screen apple carplay etc. Installed a DSR1 with the ach2 T harness and 2 amplifiers. I have no sound at all and on the app its stuck in analog mode. I saw a thread about the 2019 dodge ram having the same issues. I did the bluetooth update then rockford firmware update 1.7.3.0 and then the vehicle config flash as stated in the ram thread and still have no sound. App still shows analog mode tried reloading app multiple times and firmware 1.5.6.0,,,1.7.0.0,,,1.7.3.0. Tried the universal setup with analog in and still no luck. Also tried different flashes with amp but w/o HK,with HK and with beats. Any ideas what could be the issue? Thanks

User avatar
Dara DeGrand
ADS Team
Posts: 5135
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: 2017 Chrysler 300s

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am

I believe we talked on the phone this morning?

For anyone else coming across this thread, Chrysler radios that are equipped with CarPlay look for a load from the factory amp before they will send sound. Each channel needs a 500 ohm resistor across it to allow the radio to send sound.

If you run into this, add the load resistors, let the car sleep for 20 minutes or so, and when it wakes up again, it should send sound if it detects the correct.
load resistors.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

raddddix
New User
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: 2017 Chrysler 300s

Post by raddddix » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 am

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am
I believe we talked on the phone this morning?

For anyone else coming across this thread, Chrysler radios that are equipped with CarPlay look for a load from the factory amp before they will send sound. Each channel needs a 500 ohm resistor across it to allow the radio to send sound.

If you run into this, add the load resistors, let the car sleep for 20 minutes or so, and when it wakes up again, it should send sound if it detects the correct.

load resistors.png

Yes we spoke on the phone after I posted this thank you for the great customer support. So this resolved part of the issue of no sound. Once I Installed the resistors when I did the setup in the app and then saved it i would get sound for about 5 seconds so a step in the right direction cause I got some sort of sound. I phoned back and spoke to someone else and went thru the list of things that were tried. In the end because all methods were tried it was suggested to now give Rockford tech support a call. I called Rockford and went thru everything that was done they agreed it was a firmware or app issue but still thought the DSR1 was just being stubborn. So in the end the method that got the DSR1 working and issue resolved was as follows. Make sure to be running internet explorer that has the gold halo around it not the all blue one.

Go to Maestro iDatalink website and go to flash your module
1 - iDatalink flash BLE Bluetooth software update or re-flash again.
2 - iDatalink vehicle setup firmware for universal, 2018, no accessories, no features, flash your maestro
3 - Unplug usb cable for a few seconds then plug back in
4 - Go to Rockfords site download there software installer and then download install the latest software currently 1.7.3.0
***before hitting upload to device make sure to check the box reset to factory settings***

5 - Now repeat the same steps but setup for your vehicle this time

Go back to Maestro iDatalink website and go to flash your module
6 - iDatalink flash BLE Bluetooth software update or re-flash again.
7 - iDatalink vehicle setup firmware for 2017 Chrysler 300 amplifier with out Harmon Kardon, aCH2 T harness, no features, flash your maestro
8 - Unplug usb cable for a few seconds then plug back in
9 - Go to Rockfords site and install again the latest software currently 1.7.3.0
***before hitting upload to device make sure to check the box reset to factory settings***

Post Reply

Return to “Maestro DSR1”