2014 Subaru Outback with Harmon Kardon audio - no backup camera after install

Group using the SU1 and SU2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
tara
New User

2014 Subaru Outback with Harmon Kardon audio - no backup camera after install

Post by tara » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:15 pm

I've searched the forum but didn't see my model year listed with this problem.

I've installed a JVC KW-M845BW in my 2014 Subaru Outback with Harman Kardon audio (no nav), replacing the stock head unit. I've actually tried with two completely different JVC head units (same model), Maestro modules, and SU2 wiring harnesses, and still have a non-functioning backup camera. Similar to other posts, I see the guidelines come up when I put the car in reverse, and it looks like an image is trying to come through, but it's mostly black. I've wired everything up according to the install instructions, and like I've said, I've tried two different modules and wiring harnesses and still have this problem. (Disclosure: I purchased everything through Crutchfield and had them do the SU2 wiring harness prior to shipping. I contacted their tech support which resulted in them sending me another of everything to try and rule out wiring issues.).

My backup camera functioned just fine with the factory head unit, so I know the camera was working.

As a side note, I was originally having issues where my steering controls also weren't working properly. My track up and down buttons would instead mute the sound. I was flashing the firmware for systems with bluetooth and Harman Kardon audio, as that's what I have. Interestingly, what ultimately fixed my steering control issues was flashing the firmware for just the bluetooth.

Is this an issue with the firmware? Or something else?

Return to “Subaru”