2014 Subaru Outback with Harmon Kardon audio - no backup camera after install

Group using the SU1 and SU2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
tara
New User

2014 Subaru Outback with Harmon Kardon audio - no backup camera after install

Post by tara » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:15 pm

I've searched the forum but didn't see my model year listed with this problem.

I've installed a JVC KW-M845BW in my 2014 Subaru Outback with Harman Kardon audio (no nav), replacing the stock head unit. I've actually tried with two completely different JVC head units (same model), Maestro modules, and SU2 wiring harnesses, and still have a non-functioning backup camera. Similar to other posts, I see the guidelines come up when I put the car in reverse, and it looks like an image is trying to come through, but it's mostly black. I've wired everything up according to the install instructions, and like I've said, I've tried two different modules and wiring harnesses and still have this problem. (Disclosure: I purchased everything through Crutchfield and had them do the SU2 wiring harness prior to shipping. I contacted their tech support which resulted in them sending me another of everything to try and rule out wiring issues.).

My backup camera functioned just fine with the factory head unit, so I know the camera was working.

As a side note, I was originally having issues where my steering controls also weren't working properly. My track up and down buttons would instead mute the sound. I was flashing the firmware for systems with bluetooth and Harman Kardon audio, as that's what I have. Interestingly, what ultimately fixed my steering control issues was flashing the firmware for just the bluetooth.

Is this an issue with the firmware? Or something else?

tara
New User

Re: 2014 Subaru Outback with Harmon Kardon audio - no backup camera after install

Post by tara » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:44 am

Adding more to this as I've still not received an answer.

I'd like to preface this by stating I am not an electrician.

Following the advice of other posts here, I tested the voltage being supplied to the camera when putting the car in reverse and verified it was receiving 7.5 volts. To be clear, my husband and I were testing the red wire in the rear gate door, just before the camera. There are 5 wires; one red, one black, one white, one green, and one that was just a bare wire with no covering. The green wire had been cut and terminated; it doesn't go to the camera at all. We weren't sure what the other four were, so my husband tested each one while I had the car in reverse and concluded the red wire was the power. We weren't 100% sure which wire going to the Maestro we should test. I've downloaded a PDF of my Outback's field service manual, but again the wiring detail wasn't clear as to which wire was which.

I'm suspecting the problem isn't wiring but something else. Everything else is working just fine (steering wheel controls, OBD II vehicle information, phone controls, etc.). I still find it odd that flashing the firmware for just Bluetooth fixed my previous non-functioning steering wheel controls, instead of the firmware for the Harman Kardon system.

Any ideas? I'd really like to get this last problem resolved so I have a fully functioning system.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2014 Subaru Outback with Harmon Kardon audio - no backup camera after install

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:52 am

With cameras, it can really only be two things: Power/Ground, or video signal. If you have verified the camera has power and ground, I would try swapping the yellow RCA to see if that is bad.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

tara
New User

Post by tara » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:12 am

Thank you Dara.

With the RCA, I assume you are referring to the one up front? Do you mean swapping that out with a completely different RCA? I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Again, I've tried two different complete setups (head units, Maestro modules, wires, etc.) and the camera never functioned with each one. I get something like an image trying to come through (like a rainbow-y image), and the guidelines on top, but never a clear image. See attached photo.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:10 pm

EDIT: Yes, I'm talking about the RCA that plugs into the radio. Instead of putting in a new RCA, try reversing the yellow and black RCA wires. The + and - signal wires look like they might be reversed, based on that image.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

sreenisatish
New User

Post by sreenisatish » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:24 pm

Yes! I fixed the backup camera. The problem is that the pinout of the 28 pin connector of the SU2 was not matching with the harness coming from the car.

So, the car harness pinout is:
11 - +6v camera power
12 - camera CGND (needs to be ground)
13 - video ground
14 - Video signal +

But the pinout in the SU2 is
11 - +6v camera power (blue/yellow)
12 - video signal + (yellow)
13 and 14 are black and grounded.

So, essentially, the video signal was grounded.

How I fixed it:
The black and yellow 2 pin coming out of the SU2, I connected them together (as they need to be grounded 12 and 13 from car harness). I also connected the black wire on the 'C' connector (which goes to the RCA) to this same ground. Then I cut the pin 14 black wire behind the SU2 harness (this is the video signal) and connected it to the yellow wire on the 'C' connector.

And, we have video!!!

No guidelines though on my pioneer :( but I guess I'll live with it.

Return to “Subaru”