2018 Subaru Support - We need a solution

Group using the SU1 and SU2 firmware* see specific firmware for full feature list.
cary.feldstein
New User

2018 Subaru Support - We need a solution

Post by cary.feldstein » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Dear Customer Support,

When I purchased my Subaru Forester 2018 I contacted a major online company and purchased an HU replacement package that included the use of the Maestro RR unit. That company did not seem aware that you did not support the 2018 models yet and I was pointed to your customer support to get my unit working. I was impressed with how far your customer support team went with helping me wire in the solution and they were very clear that until the updated firmware for the 2018 Subaru models was released I would not have full compatibility. It was also said four months ago that the update would be released soon.

At present my unit works fine in my car with the following exceptions:

1) Rear Backup Camera
2) Steering Wheel Controls
3) Electronic Telemetry Gauges

I have ordered the list above in terms of how I would rank the importance of the features. My understanding is that the 2018 Subarus use a different form of data and that is why there is such a delay.

Given the fact that the 2019 Subaru's are now hitting the market and that the 2018 models have been on market for about a year I think it is time for you to reevaluate what support you are capable of offering all the customers who are patiently waiting for the new firmware.

Can you please consider releasing a series of updated firmware versions that will incrementally improve the compatibility? For the backup camera to work (my biggest priority) it was explained to me that the existing firmware is not sending out the right voltage. Can you please release a firmware that purely solves the backup camera problem? This seems to be the simplest of the solutions and a working camera would be a huge improvement for me.

If possible then release a firmware that includes the steering wheel compatibility? While the electronic data gauges may be important to some, I see these as an expert or professional feature. I do not have the same urgency to get the gauges working as opposed to the more simple and basic features.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Cary

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: 2018 Subaru Support - We need a solution

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:12 pm

We are still working on a firmware solution for the 2018-up subarus. We don't make it a habit of releasing partial firmware type solutions as they still require a lot of engineering time to compile and test, but I will certainly pass your concerns along to our team. Hopefully we will have a solution that takes care of all your needs soon.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

Hutchins79
New User

Post by Hutchins79 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:16 am

Same....! Help! Bought a new 2018 Crosstrek. Head unit is buggy. Even had a firmware flash from dealer already. Ready to replace head unit, but want to keep steering wheel controls. Is there an ETA for broader 2018 Subaru models support?

Jdm_fanatix
New User

Post by Jdm_fanatix » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:41 am

It’s been a couple months since your last update. I purchased the RR WITH SU2 harness from Crutchfield only to find out that the 2018 forester is not supported. After some reading I figured I would try to tap the CAN lines from the telemetrics harness and hope for a working solution to run my KENWOOD dnx695s. This fixed the steering wheel controls and some gauges however the backup camera is not working. Is there any solution to have the backup camera operable? Is there any update on a 2018 Subaru compatible solution? Thank you for the help.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:18 am

I drive a 2018 Forester XT and I did the initial testing in this vehicle. When i tested, the backup camera worked with no issues. I got my can at the screen above the radio instead of at the starlink module.

We technically do not cover this car, because not all of the functions we support are able to be done with our current hardware. We will end up covering these cars with the RR2 when it is released, which will allow you to retain everything (in the current solution, you won't be able to see TPMS info on the vehicle info screen).

How exactly is your camera not working? Does the screen switch to the camera when you put the car in reverse? Or do you not have an image when the screen switches?
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Jdm_fanatix
New User

Post by Jdm_fanatix » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:45 pm

The screen turns into the backup camera view with the guidance lines however no image would appear. It just shows a black screen.

Jdm_fanatix
New User

Post by Jdm_fanatix » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:52 pm

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:18 am
I drive a 2018 Forester XT and I did the initial testing in this vehicle. When i tested, the backup camera worked with no issues. I got my can at the screen above the radio instead of at the starlink module.

We technically do not cover this car, because not all of the functions we support are able to be done with our current hardware. We will end up covering these cars with the RR2 when it is released, which will allow you to retain everything (in the current solution, you won't be able to see TPMS info on the vehicle info screen).

How exactly is your camera not working? Does the screen switch to the camera when you put the car in reverse? Or do you not have an image when the screen switches?
Did you have a wire diagram of the CAN lines for the screen above the radio and which lines you tapped into? I have a 2018 forester xt premium as well. Thanks so much for your help

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:59 pm

They're red and blue (it is a very small connector, only one set of these color wires at this plug). Red is can H, blue is can L.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

LouCioccio
New User

Post by LouCioccio » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Can the rr be updated for the 2018 Forester? Or would it be more prudent to get the rr2 and wait for the firmware update.
Lou Cioccio

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:11 am

If you want the full functionality, you will need to wait for the RR2 to be released.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

LouCioccio
New User

Post by LouCioccio » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Dara,
Okay I went ahead with the Maestro RR. As I have been following several threads on various installations of installing an after market radio in the 2018 Forester. Now I am not sure if I did things right as there were multiple threads of replacing the stock 7" non navigational radio in the 2018 Forester that I have. I misread one thread and did buy the AutoHarness Harness from Brian but then realized it was for the Maestro SW not the RR that I had gotten. So reading twice maybe three times to get this straight in my 72 year old brain.Since I had the RR I would get the SU2 harness plus SW for the plan B and other items to mate with the antenna and I carefully followed the instructions on the SU2 harness to the Kenwood Radio 9904s. When we hooked it up we got flashing red led on the RR. We were unable to turn the radio on. We did erase and re-install the firmware but still got the red flashing when we hooked back We started to follow the yellow and red wire for continuity then for voltage. We determine that we were not getting 12 volts out to the radio from RR. Does it act like a switch? Is it possible to test it. We then used plan B as I did buy the SW and we hooked that one up and it worked so at least we got what I wanted but without Starlink.

Lou Cioccio

saulgoodman
New User

Post by saulgoodman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm very interested in when the new RR2 solution will be available for my vehicle. Your website doesn't list Subaru as supported yet.

I purchased a 2018 XT Limited w/eyesight in Canada very recently. We don't have Starlink up here, but I want to ensure the backup camera and steering wheel controls work. If they don't, pretty sure my wife will kill me. The additional telemetry / code reading functionality would be pretty cool, but not nearly as important.

The head unit I want to install is the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX. I almost didn't buy this Subaru because it didn't come with Car Play / Android Auto, but decided I would just replace the head unit. Pretty dissapointed to find out that wasn't an easy thing to do... yet?

Anyways, really hoping you guys have a solution in place soon. If you have any idea of a timeline, that would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:24 pm

It will be released this summer.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

joels
New User

Post by joels » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:27 pm

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:24 pm
It will be released this summer.
Will the RR2 retain the same wiring as the RR? In other words, is it plug and play if you already have the RR installed?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Yes; it is backwards compatible with the existing RR T-harness.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Subaru”