2017 Mustang RR for Gauges only?

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Draconix
New User

2017 Mustang RR for Gauges only?

Post by Draconix » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 pm

I'm currently in the process of shopping to get an aftermarket stereo in my 2017 Mustang EcoBoost (base) and want to get OBD-II directly into the radio. Rather than use something like Pioneer AppRadio + DashCommand w/ a Bluetooth OBD reader, is there a way to use the Maestro RR in car data only mode? here is my planned build:

Current Setup:
-Sync Stereo w/ 4.2" screen
-Standard 3 button setup next to Start/Stop button

Upgrades:
-Metra Dash Kit 99-5838ch (would have preferred a kit like the MUS1 however)
--Provides Sync retention as an option, but this will be shed
--Provides HVAC controls via touch screen and 8 soft keys
--Provides on-screen programming of Steering Wheel controls
-Pioneer AVH-4201NEX Headunit
--Wire suppplied cam as a front view camera
-Bluetooth OBD-II adapter
-Cell Phone with DashCommand (full version)

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: 2017 Mustang RR for Gauges only?

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm

We don't really have a ford specific firmware, but you could get gauges if you flash the RR as a 13 Lancer. Follow the basic wiring instructions for power, data cable, and can wires, and you should be able to get the gauges feature on that radio.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Draconix
New User

Post by Draconix » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply, that seems just like what I need to get me by.

It looks like I'd ignore the SWI connections (firmware config spit out manual ADS-RR(SI)-MIT01-DS (512) (1.8) ) and I should be good, correct?

Will this also show Door, Battery, and TPMS features as well (since I presume these are also from the CAN bus)?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Correct, ignore the steering wheel wiring.

No, you will just get gauges (battery voltage should show as a gauge). TPMS and door status are not available with this firmware.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Draconix
New User

Post by Draconix » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:42 pm

Very informative, thank you.

Do you know if there are plans to come up with a kit in the future for the 2015+ Mustangs?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:46 am

We have discussed it and it's likely that it will happen. I don't have an ETA at this time.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Draconix
New User

Post by Draconix » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm

Sounds great, if only a little late, as I plan to upgrade my stereo this week. However, if worthwhile I may still upgrade to your planned kit if it offers better integration than the Metra Kit.

One last question: Does the Maestro RR have the required harnesses for my install? Looking at the instructions for what you told me, it looks like I need harnesses A, G and H. Are these in the box?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Yes, the RR comes with all the harnesses required to hardwire it.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Draconix
New User

Post by Draconix » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:33 am

Just a follow-up:

I installed the RR using the firmware suggested and for the most part, the Gauges work great. The only thing I would say is that the OBD-II port on the Mustang has a Ford Factory disconnect on the car side that is not the typical OBD-II port. However, there is enough clearance on the OBD-II interface side, so I used an OBD-II T-Harness from Amazon and wired into that. I'm sure that I probably could have found CAN somewhere else, but this was the easiest and least destructive way I could find.

With that said, I do have a couple of minor issues:

1) If I plug in an OBD-II scanner, it disables the RR. is that normal? I wanted to see both simultaneously for testing, but am unable to do so. Not that big of a deal, as it seems to match my instrument cluster fine, if not a tad laggy.

2) There are certain gauges that show up on the list of gauges, but even after rescanning PIDs they still show as greyed out and have an "X" next to them. Notably, these include (but not limited to) Oil Temp and Transmission Oil Temp. is there a way to get these? Different Firmware perhaps?

3) When I have the Gauges up on the stereo, I am unable to control media on my phone via Bluetooth. However, I'm able to control the music on my SD card just fine (if not with a tad bit more lag). Is this normal?

4) On occasion, when I press the home button on the stereo, the screen goes black. this only happens when I have the gauges up. Is this a Pioneer issue or an RR issue?

Installed:
Metra 99-5838CH Dashkit
Pioneer AVH-4201NEX Stereo
Street Guardian SGGCX2 Dashcam (wired as front camera, replacing ND-BC8 from Stereo)
Maestro RR (512) FW: ADS-RR(SI)-MIT01-DS (512) (1.9)

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:25 pm

1- Yes, that is normal. Most vehicles are only capable of sending diagnostic information to one device (scan tool) at a time. So if one device comes on, the maestro is set by default to auto-disable. You can change this communication setting in the OBD2 communication menu of the radio to always on and see if it stops them from conflicting.

2- If there is an X next to it, that means we don't see this information on the HS can, so we aren't able to populate it as a gauge. It's not a firmware issue, it's the fact that these messages are not present on the data line where we're reading.

3- This is likely a radio issue. If it sees you in the gauges source, it might be ignoring the commands being sent to it.

4- This is likely unrelated to the maestro.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

rabtech
New User

Post by rabtech » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:20 am

This thread has been most helpful for me also.

I have a Polaris Slingshot with the factory ECU removed and a Haltech Elite 1500 in its place. I now have OBD2 support. I have a $20.00 generic bluetooth OBD2 device plugged in sending my gauges to an android tablet running the Torque App.

So the other day I upgraded my radio to a Kenwood with the Maestro Idatalink option. It was the Kenwood DNX524S.
I bought the radio just so I could get rid of the tablet and have my gauges shown on the screen. I don't care about all the fancy stuff like climate and TPMS. I just need the unit to display the data coming across the CAN bus on the OBD2 plug.

So i am going to assume the Lancer solution will be exactly what I need to do also.

I will wait for a day to see if anyone post back and says differently. Or they have a better solution to get just the OBD data to the Kenwood.

If I follow the instruction in the thread I only need to purchase the RR module and I will have everything I need to display my gauges.

Also I haven't searched yet but it appears when I receive the unit I just need to download the correct firmware (lancer) and flash it before doing the install.

Thanks for posting your question in this thread. I almost never found how to hook just the old data to the Kenwood and this looks perfect. Let me know if I'm not seeing a problem that may happen when I do this install.

Jukebox1
New User

Post by Jukebox1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 am

I have 2014 base Mustang, trying to do a guages only install, I see Dara replies back 2018. Is there a fuenwaee update that disabled the maestro from controlling climate controls. I have another companies dashkit. I really like the idea of the guages and toms monitoring.

Thanks
Rick H

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:16 am

If you want gauges AND TPMS, you must use our full t-harness solution. We never do TPMS on basic gauges only firmwares.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”