Information to expect on 2012 Escape OEM display

Group using the FO1 and FO2 firmware for Ford SYNC retention * see specific firmware for full feature list.
afbaquero
New User

Information to expect on 2012 Escape OEM display

Post by afbaquero » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 am

Good morning.

I have a 2012 Ford Escape XLT (originally) with sync but no navigation. I say "originally" because the sync has stopped working altogether and I am considering if I should try and have it fixed (or replaced) or instead opt for a new head unit.

One thing that I would love is to retain the use of the Escape's original OEM display. I have seen in many youtube videos that maestro is able to present radio, track, bluetooth and other type of info with Kenwood radios and on the OEM displays of (oldish) Mustangs and F-150.

However, I have not seen any videos with 2008-2012 Ford Escapes or with Pioneer radios, and while your website claims that Metadata is sent back to the display and that pioneer radios such as the 4200NEX (an alternative I am considering) are able to send data, it is nor clear what kind of information to expect coming from that display. On top of this, I have seen some entries of this site that say that the displays of Ford Escapes similar to the ones I own, can't get any info back on the screen

Having set the context, here are my 2 questions:

1. What kind of information can I expect to be shown in the display if I get a 4200NEX with your Maestro?

2. What kind of information could I expect to get there if I went instead for a Kenwood radio? or an Alpine radio?

Thanks

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Information to expect on 2012 Escape OEM display

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:29 am

The escape is the only vehicle that does not show metadata on the secondary display. It will show date and time, though. This will be the same for all three brands of radio.

Click the link below, this forum post shows how it will turn out:
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26904
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

afbaquero
New User

Post by afbaquero » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.

Farmall200
New User

Post by Farmall200 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Dara DeGrand wrote:The escape is the only vehicle that does not show metadata on the secondary display. It will show date and time, though. This will be the same for all three brands of radio.

Click the link below, this forum post shows how it will turn out:
http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26904
Hi-jacking this thread...

Is it only the Escape display that's the problem, or is it due to the way the Maestro had to be programmed to function with the Escape? Ex, if I was to pull a display from a Ford Focus/Fusion and hook it up, would it display metadata, or is that functionality not even programmed into the box?

Only asking since I am considering creating a custom interface to the display so that it shows what I want, and I am curious if I could read metadata from the Maestro RR.

Thanks for any info you can give me on this!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:02 pm

This issue is only the Escape. However, it's not the display that's the problem- it's the sync module and the way it displays information.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Farmall200
New User

Post by Farmall200 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Dara DeGrand wrote:This issue is only the Escape. However, it's not the display that's the problem- it's the sync module and the way it displays information.
Okay good to know. Last question - probably for an engineer - is does the module still try to send metadata to the display when programmed as an escape, or is that feature disabled?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 pm

If you put the display from a fusion in, it would work, but you would have to flash it as a fusion.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Farmall200
New User

Post by Farmall200 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Dara DeGrand wrote:Correction- if you put the display from a fusion in, it would work. We still send the metadata, it's just that the escape display does not show it.
Thats awesome to know. I actually found one for cheap at a local junkyard, guess I now have a new weekend project. Either that or try and flash an escape display to make it think its a fusion. Ill report back here if I ever get it to work for any that are interested in how this goes.

Thanks for all your help!

ITBland
New User

Post by ITBland » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 pm

I have done this (installed the FDIM screen from a Fusion in my 2010 Escape) and can confirm that this does work, HD Radio, Sat and Bluetooth display media info. Sadly, Apple CarPlay does not :(
Climate temp, outside temp and direction all show same as on the Escape display, and the clock (in a slightly different position).

timk
New User

Post by timk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 pm

ITBland wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 pm
I have done this (installed the FDIM screen from a Fusion in my 2010 Escape) and can confirm that this does work, HD Radio, Sat and Bluetooth display media info. Sadly, Apple CarPlay does not :(
Climate temp, outside temp and direction all show same as on the Escape display, and the clock (in a slightly different position).
Thanks for posting that information, I would never have thought of looking to try this. Can you tell me what firmware is used and if it needs to be flashed as a Fusion?

ITBland
New User

Post by ITBland » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Use the latest firmware, just use Fusion as the car when you flash. If you use Escape, it will not show on the FDIM, if you try to use the Escape FDIM and just flash the Maestro with Fusion, it will not display. The only combo that works is a Fusion FDIM (get from eBay or junkyard) adapt the Escape's FDIM brackets (need to move screws around a little) and then flash the Maestro with Fusion as the car. (Fusion and Escape use the same radio in 2008-2012 model years.
Really, the hardest part is getting the brackets right on the FDIM.

CanmoreThor
New User

Post by CanmoreThor » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:58 pm

I did this as well inspired by this post.

Original was a 2011 Escape, I found a 2011 Fusion FDIM module on eBay for about $20. Flashed with the 2011 Fusion firmware. Maestro RR firmware is 3.4 and the deck I am using is a Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX. I used the original FDIM mounting brackets with one screw per side and a bit of double sided tape which made for a firm install.

I flashed the fusion firmware and everything worked perfect, even CarPlay with itunes and podcasts, basically everything I checked worked perfect.

Return to “Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda”