Question about Obd2 wires

Group using the TO1 and TO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
Graves037
New User

Question about Obd2 wires

Post by Graves037 »

I’m installing a DNX996XR in a 2019 tundra and I can’t figure out where the red and yellow wire with the black connector go from the obd2 connector. There’s also a grey/red wire with a white connector, but I see where it goes, but not the other! Please help Image[/img][/img][/img]

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Question about Obd2 wires

Post by Dara DeGrand »

If you tried to post a photo, it isn't showing. It doesn't link to any content.

The black side plugs in at the TO2 harness. In the middle, where the harness is bundled and taped together, there should be a black 3-pin plug that matches the colors of the OBD2 wires. They simply plug together.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Graves037
New User

Post by Graves037 »

Yeah I can’t figure out how to post a pic.....and I wasn’t seeing a black plug but from the way you described it, I might have wrapped it up in the bundle of whites! I’ll unwrap them and double check.

Graves037
New User

Post by Graves037 »

Well I went and looked....what I have is a 2 pin plug, a red wire and a yellow wire. I did not see an open plug that matches anywhere, however, I did see an identical plug within the harness but it is already hooked up and has a red and a yellow wire. I’m confused

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Post pictures, please. I'm not following your description, but you may have something plugged in incorrectly.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Graves037
New User

Post by Graves037 »

I can’t figure out how, but I did get some info from the guy I purchased from and he said that connector goes nowhere....hate those connections that baffle you for days for no reason apparently!!!

gilcontr
New User

Post by gilcontr »

I'm mocking up my harness with my maestro rr2 and noticed I have the same issue. the following link has a picture of the obd socket with 3 wires on it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iFMuyN9RFfPGBL4d7

I was only able to connect the grey and red connector to the TO2 harness. I've seen install guides for other stereos and they seem to only have the one wire that needs to be connected. The install guide for the stereo I'm buying (DMH-WT8600NEX) shows that all 3 wires need to be connected.
Last edited by gilcontr on Tue May 05, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

What vehicle do you have?

There should be a black 2-pin plug that it fits into; it has the same color wires coming off of the t-harness. There is another junction with the same wire colors that it may already be plugged into. It should be in the same section of the harness where you took that photo, but it's hard to see everything there.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

gilcontr
New User

Post by gilcontr »

I have a 2019 highlander limited hybrid with jbl. In looking at the harness , there is a black connector that is already connected. Both sides of the connectors are red and yellow but have a brown stripe on each. Do I disconnect this and connect it to the obd harness? I do see that the wiring diagram for my install says that the plug in it's current state is to be disconnected from the car harness side of things.

Here's another picture of the plug with the red and yellow wires with the brown stripe:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1vSRznGUZU9og77B9

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn »

The pre connected 2 pin black plugs should remain connected, unless the HS CAN wires are not populated in the factory connector behind the radio. That is when you would disconnect the ones that are currently plugged in and use the one coming from the OBD2 connector instead. You will only know if this needs to be done once you are in the vehicle and have the radio out.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

gilcontr
New User

Post by gilcontr »

Ah. I was hoping to figure it out now in order to clean up the harness a little. I guess we'll see what happens when the headunit actually gets here and I put it in. Just as an FYI, here's a link to a picture of the install instructions for the t02 harness/ maestro: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XQr3vAjGKrrLhqm28

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

It is the same signal found at 2 different places in the car. If you have wires present in the car side of maestro's red/brown and yellow/brown at the radio harness, then you do'nt have to run it. If you want to swap the plugs and run it like the guide shows, you can do that too. It is ultimately achieving the exact same thing.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

gilcontr
New User

Post by gilcontr »

Understood. Thank you both

Return to “Toyota”