2018 STi with HK, Maestro RR, SU2, DMX905S

Group using the SU1 and SU2 firmware* see specific firmware for full feature list.
shiftybugger
New User

2018 STi with HK, Maestro RR, SU2, DMX905S

Post by shiftybugger »

I have an Australian MY18 STi with the HK audio, without telematics/sos functionality. As far as I can tell it's the same as a Canadian STi of the same year, so I have no telematics or TPMS to worry about. RR was only used to keep the HK amp.

I have installed everything according to the instructions for a MY17 and using the latest firmware that weblink showed for the MY17 ( I THINK its version 1.8 but I can double check if required.

I have a couple of issues:

1. I cannot use Android Auto. The head unit tells me that I need to accept something on my phone, my phone tells me that I need to have the park brake on. The park brake is on, the car is stopped. Yes, I soldered the light green wire from the HU (I think it was labelled 'PARK SW') to the light green wire on the SU2 harness. The handbrake light is lighting up on the dash. I noticed something inside 'OEM setup' on the HU that said that parkbrake was off. It also said that footbrake was off and illumination was off, and all of those were actually on so either those menu items aren't telling me the actual state of what the HU sees, or the HU is just not getting the signal.

2. The FM radio is terrible quality. Probably not RR related though as the antenna doesn't appear to pass through it if I am reading the wires correctly.

It's probably worth mentioning that flashing the firmware via the weblink app repeatedly told me that 'something went wrong' but the 5th or 6th time it seemed to work. Are they finnicky like that?

I'm really hoping that this is fixable with firmware or something because none of these products are sold in Australia so I had to import them. Returning hardware is going to suck...

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
Kris

billr
ADS Team

Re: 2018 STi with HK, Maestro RR, SU2, DMX905S

Post by billr »

there are a couple issues you are going to run into with this....the 2018 Subaru's are not supported with the current RR module (hence the reason there was no 2018 Subaru's listed for the RR during the flash), Subaru did changes across the board that our current RR cannot handle. This affects the Gauges and Nav outputs (parking brake, vss, etc...). The new RR2 will be coming out soon and that was built to work with the newer Subaru's and other vehicles that the current RR cannot.
So at this point you will have to run the parking brake to the parking brake itself so your radio gets the signal for Android Auto to work.
For the FM, there is a solid blue wire in the harness, make sure that is connected to the Blue wire of your radio (or Blue/White wire if Kenwood removed the Blue wire in its harness).
If you lose sound when you connect the Blue wire, at the 6 pin white connector of the SU2 plugged into your car (has a set of Green wires, a set of Purple wires on it), cut the Blue wire there and tape up both sides of the wire.

shiftybugger
New User

Post by shiftybugger »

billr wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:17 am
there are a couple issues you are going to run into with this....the 2018 Subaru's are not supported with the current RR module (hence the reason there was no 2018 Subaru's listed for the RR during the flash), Subaru did changes across the board that our current RR cannot handle. This affects the Gauges and Nav outputs (parking brake, vss, etc...). The new RR2 will be coming out soon and that was built to work with the newer Subaru's and other vehicles that the current RR cannot.
So at this point you will have to run the parking brake to the parking brake itself so your radio gets the signal for Android Auto to work.
For the FM, there is a solid blue wire in the harness, make sure that is connected to the Blue wire of your radio (or Blue/White wire if Kenwood removed the Blue wire in its harness).
If you lose sound when you connect the Blue wire, at the 6 pin white connector of the SU2 plugged into your car (has a set of Green wires, a set of Purple wires on it), cut the Blue wire there and tape up both sides of the wire.
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your quick response. I did realise that the RR wasn't officially supported for the MY18, but without any other options at all, and without telematics, SoS, and TPMS to worry about, I figured I'd get what I needed with the RR. Thanks so much for giving me assistance.

I will attempt to rout the park brake around the RR and report back. I'll also have another look at the antenna connections.

Also, could you let me know if ADS-RR(SR)-SUB2-DS (512) (1.8) is the firmware that I should be using?

Thanks and regards,
Kris

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr »

Kris,
The firmware listed technically isn't for the 18's but if it's "working" for you then leave it, there isn't another firmware that will do anything more.

shiftybugger
New User

Post by shiftybugger »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info.

I just want to make it clear that I understand that this is an unsupported use case. I know that there will be niggles and workarounds required. I was forced into this situation due to a dearth of options.

SO, I really appreciate your help, and how specific your help has been, given that you probably don't have to. I'll do my best to not make this onerous =)

Thanks,
Kris

shiftybugger
New User

Post by shiftybugger »

Hi Bill,

Android auto is now working. I rerouted the park brake line around the RR directly to the 28pin vehicle harness. For those following at home, it's pin 15, grey. I stole another pin from the SU2 harness side of the connection that didn't have a corresponding wire on the vehicle side and repurposed it.

Re FM radio, I have my antenna plugged directly from an antenna cable via a Toyota adapter to the dedicated antenna connector on the HU. I unplugged the blue pin in the harness like you suggested. I don't know if that was interfering or my cable is dodgy but it has much less static now. It still isn't perfect so I may get another adapter to try.

Thanks for your help. There are so many other functions of the HU that I haven't tried, but hopefully I have all the main bits working now.

Cheers,
Kris

Return to “Subaru”