Question about Maestro RR and ILX-W650

shadowmyst
New User

Question about Maestro RR and ILX-W650

Post by shadowmyst »

I have a 2011 Chevy Cruze with a brand new Alpine ILX-W650 installed. I'm currently using an axxess/metra SWC-1 adapter for steering wheel control retention but I am finding it to be seriously lacking in capabilities and a royal pain to configure it. I am thinking of switching to the Maestro RR and GM2 harness, but I would like to know if the Maestro RR has been thoroughly tested with this radio and that there are no issues with setup and all modes are working properly with steering wheel controls.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Question about Maestro RR and ILX-W650

Post by Dara DeGrand »

We do not test every firmware with every radio, because we don't have access to every model of radio. However, this firmware has been tested at length, so it should work for what you're trying to do.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

shadowmyst
New User

Post by shadowmyst »

Thanks Dara!

It definitely works a lot better than the swc-1 I was using. I still can't change to the next song or go back to the previous song using the steering wheel controls in Carplay (not sure if that is a carplay or Alpine limitation), but the maestro actually configured my steering wheel controls the way I wanted them. And even the GM2 harness was a pleasant surprise in that it appears I can trigger mute on the radio even though I don't have a mute wire hooked up and onstar calling no longer turns off the W650 but also appears to just mute it. I say appears because I do have a question to ask: Since I don't have a factory amp I know I have to modify the speaker wiring. But the directions aren't clear about if you need to cut the wires off the line level boards completely or just a part on the board. If you could clear that up for me, I'll have sound on my speakers and will confirm if the radio really IS muting or just pretending to do so.

Hate to bad mouth a competitor.. but either Metra's qc has gone seriously downhill or they just don't feel like like keeping their products up to date and would rather just put the blame on the radio manufacturer.

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr »

you can cut the line level boards out so they are not in line with the speaker wires. They are only needed in an OEM amplified sound system.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

shadowmyst
New User

Post by shadowmyst »

billr wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:04 pm
you can cut the line level boards out so they are not in line with the speaker wires. They are only needed in an OEM amplified sound system.
I know. What I meant was do you completely cut the the boards off the wires? If so that will not leave me sufficient length to connect with my radio's harness.

billr
ADS Team

Post by billr »

you can leave the line level adapters alone, cut the white 4 pin connector and the black 4 pin connector off on the harness and just wire the speakers wires from the radio.
William (Bill) Repicky
Automotive Data Solutions Technical Support
MECP Master Certified
ASE A6 Certified
866-427-2999

Return to “GM2 radio replacement solution”