09 CRV - Subwoofer and Steering Switch issues

CRVguy
New User

09 CRV - Subwoofer and Steering Switch issues

Post by CRVguy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:23 pm

2009 Honda CRV with Navigation and factory subwoofer (no Bluetooth)
Maestro RR+HO1 (flashed with Weblink Desktop)
Sony XAV-AX5000 (firmware 1.02)

Good morning,

Thank you for operating this forum!

I'm running into issues with very low subwoofer volume and steering switch issues on the setup above. I've gone through the wiring harness a few times and everything appears to be connected as it should be and I am getting continuity across the harness connections. Really hoping to find a solution to get subwoofer and steering switches back.

Any suggestions on next steps?

Detail
=====
Subwoofer connection:
1. Orange/Red wire connected to green factory 5 pin connector pin 4 between white and gray wires
2. Same green factory 5 pin connector connected to green 5 pin HO1 subwoofer harness connector
3. RCA from HO1 subwoofer harness connected to Subwoofer port

Sub Troubleshooting steps so far:
When I operate the radio, subwoofer is firing, but at a very very low volume relative to all other speakers. Sony radio low crossover point set to 60Hz, sub volume control does not make any difference. Moving Subwoofer RCA to Right Rear port and operating the fader, I can get the sub to play music at a "7" level at a volume setting of "30". All other channels are working fine.

Steering switch connection:
1. Blue connector into iDatalink plugged into 3.5mm remote port on Son
2. Blue wire capped off (unused)
3. Flashed with default steering wheel settings
4. Sony set to Preset steering wheel

Steering Troubleshooting steps so far:
When I click on the steering wheel buttons, Green light flashes on the idatalink but no response on the Sony. Voice/Back button flash a red light. Within the Sony, the steering wheel is set to Preset. I configured as Custom to see if volume worked and it did but only one slow press=one slow step. Moving back to Preset and no response to any button press. 3.5mm jack is firmly seated, no interference to back of chassis.

Maestro Troubleshooting steps so far:
I reflashed the unit to a VW unit to overwrite and then again to the Honda configuration. Also performed a reset in car by holding button and connecting power until red flashing, and releasing until green. No change in operation.

CRVguy
New User

Re: 09 CRV - Subwoofer and Steering Switch issues

Post by CRVguy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:33 pm

As an update; subwoofer now fixed but steering wheel switches still not working

Subwoofer solution:
1. Disconnected Sub harness RCA and 5 pin connector
2. Set Sony 10 band EQ to Custom and increased lowest frequency bands to max

In this vehicle/radio combo, source for factory subwoofer appears to be rear speakers. Sony preset equalizer settings were dropping out lowest frequency bands. Sub harness is not required for subwoofer.

Additional information on steering wheel switch blink patterns when Sony steering setting = Preset:
Vol + 1 green
Vol - 2 green
Ch - 3 green
Ch + 4 green
Mode 5 green
Back n/a (when sub harness connected)
Back 1 red (w/o sub harness)
Voice n/a (when sub harness connected)
Voice 2 red (w/o sub harness)

In all of the above, nothing happens on the radio when switches are pressed. Any chance this is an issue with the Maestro module itself?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:20 pm

It is not likely to be a maestro problem, since we are blinking when you press buttons on the steering wheel. Please ensure that the SW setting in the Sony's setup is set to preset, not custom, and that SW is set to 'on', if that's an option in the radio. Most of these steering wheel settings can only be accessed when the radio is off.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

CRVguy
New User

Post by CRVguy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:46 pm

Additional troubleshooting: Swapped Maestro RR with a new unit; no change in behavior.
===
All is now working for my application; leaving this here for others who may find themselves in the same boat.
====

Resolution: Wire unused 3 pin to 3.5mm audio harness directly to steering wheel switch wires and connect to radio (bypass RR)

Steps:
1. Disconnect blue 4 pin to 3.5mm harness from Maestro RR and radio
2. Cut off end from 3 pin to 3.5mm harness and strip jacket to access wires (Red, White, Black)
3. Connect new 3.5mm Black wire to HO1 side (black wire) of factory 22pin connector Pin 6 (brown wire)
4. Connect new 3.5mm Red wire to HO1 side (purple/red wire) of factory 22pin connector Pin 7 (pink wire)
5. Cut and insulate both ends of the purple/red wire after the connection point to sever the connection with Maestro RR
6. Disconnect and insulate Orange/Red wire from factory Green 5 pin connector Pin 4 (green wire) *Please note that this is the same Green 5 pin connector that is not connected to Sub harness in this application
7. Connect new 3.5mm White wire to factory Green 5 pin connector Pin 4 (green wire)
8. Plug in 3.5mm into Remote jack on radio
9. On power-on go to Settings > General > Steering > Custom > set each of the 7 available buttons to your preference of function

Works fantastic - what led me to try this was the note in Sony XAV-AX5000 manual that no aftermarket adapter is required to retain steering in Japanese/Korean vehicles.

Hope this helps!

CRVguy
New User

Post by CRVguy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:15 pm

For completeness, also adding the steps to integrate factory camera and eliminate the OBDII connector harness for this application.

To connect cut and wire in one of the two RCA jacks from the gray 'connection not required' harness in picture.

Factory Camera Integration:
From Factory Green 7pin connector which is not connected to anything, wire pin1 green to main harness red wire, pin2 white to main harness black wire, pin4 red to RCA ground shielding, and pin5 black to RCA wire remaining. RCA jack goes into yellow video port on radio.

Eliminate OBDII connector:
To avoid using the OBDII Connector, Reverse light feed is available in Factory Black 12pin connector which is not connected to anything. From this connector, wire pin7 brown to main harness wire connected to HO1 purple/white. I cut and insulated purple/white wire to bypass Maestro module.

Return to “HO1 radio replacement solution”