2007 Honda Civic speaker noise

Group using the HO1 and HO2 firmware * see specific firmware for full feature list.
wally
New User

Re: 2007 Honda Civic speaker noise

Post by wally » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:30 am
We're working on a test firmware to isolate whether the noise is being radiated via can or K line. One thing you can try in the meantime:

With the OBD2 connected, go to the OEM setup of the radio and turn the TPMS and door alerts OFF in the settings. After that, back out of the menu and see if the noise continues.
My alpine doesn't have TPMS or door alerts LOL. I've got the Alpine iLX-W650

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Ultimately, it sounds like the noise is being induced via can and it is likely in the t-harness where the wires are all bundled together. We recommend un-taping the harness and isolating the can wires away from the rest of the harness. If they don't run parallel to each other, it is much less likely that noise will be induced into the system.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

wally
New User

Post by wally » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:45 pm
Ultimately, it sounds like the noise is being induced via can and it is likely in the t-harness where the wires are all bundled together. We recommend un-taping the harness and isolating the can wires away from the rest of the harness. If they don't run parallel to each other, it is much less likely that noise will be induced into the system.
I'll let you know when I get home and try it.

wally
New User

Post by wally » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:33 pm

https://youtu.be/tBlFRm6qUBQ

I just made a video. Sorry that I left my fan on too lol.

You can hear the noise is directly tied to that cable even though I pulled it out of the harness entirely.

It stops about five seconds after being disconnected each time. But it's consistent.

wally
New User

Post by wally » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:03 am

Dara DeGrand wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:45 pm
And in case it isn't clear in the video, I separated the OBD cable completely from the harness all the way back to the connector. It's too bad it didn't make a difference.

wally
New User

Post by wally » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:54 am

I'm rewatching my video from yesterday and it takes exactly 10 seconds for the sound to stop after I disconnect the wire. (0:30-0:40)

Reconnecting at 1:04 and it doesn't come back which is interesting.

Turn off the car at 1:36 and turn it back on at 1:40, heaunit boots and...

At 1:53 after restarting the car you can hear it come right back again.

At 2:09 I disconnected it again and 2:19, ten seconds later it stops again.

Civic_Power
ADS Team

Post by Civic_Power » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:46 am

Hello Wally

My Name is Alain, I am the tech that did the R&D and testing on the HO1 solution that you are using in your car. I also happen to have a Honda civic 2008 Manual transmission as my personal vehicle.

I have talked to Dara, read the entire thread and watched your video, so I have a good idea of the situation you are facing.

Allow me to explain a few details regarding the way the module works in HO1

Normally, on an automatic car, we get the reverse signal from the CAN network at the OBD2, there is a message that is broadcast on the CAN bus by the transmission control module that indicates what gear the vehicle is in. However on a manual transmission car, there is no transmission control module so in order for the maestro module to be able to determine if the vehicle is in reverse, we had to use the K-Line. the K-Line is a diagnostic network for honda vehicles. so by sending a request on that line, we can determine if the vehicle is in reverse.

if you bring your car in for service at a dealership, they would most likely connect the Scantool to your car to perform diagnostic. if our module is communicating on the K-line when this happens, there will be data collisions and the dealer will not be able to get their diagnostic done. so in order to prevent this conflict from happening, we have set a safety so that if the OBD2 connector is disconnected (the Maestro will loose CAN communication), our module will assume that a scantool will be connected so we turn off communication on the K-line.

Based on your last message, you stated that it takes about 10 seconds for the noise to go away after you disconnect the CAN connector, witch is about the time it would take for our module to notice the lost in CAN communication and turn off the K-Line communication

The K-line will remain disabled on the Maestro untill the key is cycled to the OFF position and then cycled back ON

So based on all of these information, I am very confident that the noise you get from your speakers when the CAN connector is pluged in is comming from the K-Line.

if you feel confident enough, you can confirm my assumption by de-pinning the K-Line wire from the Maestro. the K-line wire is the Gray/Red in the 18 pin connector. with this wire disconnected and the CAN connector still plugged in, the noise should go away.

Once that has been confirmed, Dara's recommendation regarding untapping the harness and making sure that the K-Line wire is seperated from the rest of the wires (Specially the RCA wires) will be the solution to try.

I hope that this will shed some light on your situation and help you solve this issue.
Alain Crevier
Maestro Research & Development
Automotive Data Solution
8400 Bougainville, Montreal
Quebec,Canada
H4P-2G1

Civic_Power
ADS Team

Post by Civic_Power » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:51 am

I forgot to mention that at the radio, the K-Line is still a Gray/Red in the main 17 pin radio connector. this is the wire that you will want to separate as far away from the speakers wires as possible.

Thank you and have a good day
Alain Crevier
Automotive Data Solution
Quebec,Canada
H4P-2G1

wally
New User

Post by wally » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:02 pm

Civic_Power wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:46 am
Hello Wally

My Name is Alain, I am the tech that did the R&D and testing on the HO1 solution that you are using in your car. I also happen to have a Honda civic 2008 Manual transmission as my personal vehicle.

I have talked to Dara, read the entire thread and watched your video, so I have a good idea of the situation you are facing.

Allow me to explain a few details regarding the way the module works in HO1

Normally, on an automatic car, we get the reverse signal from the CAN network at the OBD2, there is a message that is broadcast on the CAN bus by the transmission control module that indicates what gear the vehicle is in. However on a manual transmission car, there is no transmission control module so in order for the maestro module to be able to determine if the vehicle is in reverse, we had to use the K-Line. the K-Line is a diagnostic network for honda vehicles. so by sending a request on that line, we can determine if the vehicle is in reverse.

if you bring your car in for service at a dealership, they would most likely connect the Scantool to your car to perform diagnostic. if our module is communicating on the K-line when this happens, there will be data collisions and the dealer will not be able to get their diagnostic done. so in order to prevent this conflict from happening, we have set a safety so that if the OBD2 connector is disconnected (the Maestro will loose CAN communication), our module will assume that a scantool will be connected so we turn off communication on the K-line.

Based on your last message, you stated that it takes about 10 seconds for the noise to go away after you disconnect the CAN connector, witch is about the time it would take for our module to notice the lost in CAN communication and turn off the K-Line communication

The K-line will remain disabled on the Maestro untill the key is cycled to the OFF position and then cycled back ON

So based on all of these information, I am very confident that the noise you get from your speakers when the CAN connector is pluged in is comming from the K-Line.

if you feel confident enough, you can confirm my assumption by de-pinning the K-Line wire from the Maestro. the K-line wire is the Gray/Red in the 18 pin connector. with this wire disconnected and the CAN connector still plugged in, the noise should go away.

Once that has been confirmed, Dara's recommendation regarding untapping the harness and making sure that the K-Line wire is seperated from the rest of the wires (Specially the RCA wires) will be the solution to try.

I hope that this will shed some light on your situation and help you solve this issue.
Ran out during lunch, pushed the red line out of the obd connector and sure enough, the noise went away. (So did the reverse camera function and the settings function)

Based on what you said though, it sounds like I might have to just tap into the vss/ebrake/reverse wires manually to solve this issue. It sucks but it's not the end of the world.

Civic_Power
ADS Team

Post by Civic_Power » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 pm

You should follow Dara's recommendation. cut the tape open on the harness near the radio, and move the Gray/red K-Line wire away from the rest of the harness, this will help with the noise.

in the end, it's your call, but now we have a clear idea of what is happening. and as Dara mentioned, the noise from the RCA are most likely related to a ground issue for the radio, and since our harness takes the ground from the vehicle's OEM ground, it's most likely that re-grounding the radio directly to chassis will help (if not eleminate) the problem.

so our recomendation stand...

1- Seperate the Gray/Red wire from the harness and put as much space between it and the RCA wires
2- Cut the radio ground from the harness and put it directly to a solid chassis ground

In the end, I hope you solve the issue.

Have a nice day
Alain Crevier
Automotive Data Solution
Quebec,Canada
H4P-2G1

Return to “Honda”