Kenwood XR600-6DSP extension harness...

Group using the aCH2 and aCH3 firmwares for vehicle with premium audio * see specific firmware for full feature list.
mochs
New User

Kenwood XR600-6DSP extension harness...

Post by mochs »

Hi,
I'm confused by the instructions for using the Kenwood 18-pin extension harness. I understand the part about cutting the white connector off and connecting it to the blue and black wire of the extension harness. However, it seems no matter which way you place things, you're going to be limited by the harness length for connector B on the AR, or the iDatalink cable.
If you keep the AR near the factory amp loction, then the 18" or so iDatalink cable isn't long enough to move the amp very far from the the factory spot.
If you keep the AR near the Kenwood amp, then the wires for connector B become your limiting factor on how far away you can move the amp.
I guess I don't understand the point of the Kenwood cable being nearly 20 feet long when you can at most move the amp maybe a foot or two from the factory location before either harness B or the iDatalink cable stops you from going any further.
It seems like what's really needed is an extension between the car amp's 2 connectors and the 2 connectors that come with the AR.
What am I missing?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: Kenwood XR600-6DSP extension harness...

Post by Dara DeGrand »

Whether you use the extension cable or not, due to the length of the data cable, the AR has to be close to the amp. What the extension harness is doing is allowing you to relocate both the AR and amp somewhere other than the OEM amplifier location. Ex: You wouldn't want to try to fit that Kenwood amp in the kick panel of a car, so the extension harness is a good application in this case.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

mochs
New User

Post by mochs »

I figured out what was wrong...my Kenwood XR600 was a replacement and it only came with one of the two extension cables it was supposed to have - the 18 pin one. The 16 pin one was missing and that's where my confusion came from.

I've since bought an aEXT4, but now have a different problem - I get no sign of life at all from the AR since adding the aEXT4.

I assume the 2 pin black connector with the 2 blue wires going to it is power for the AR, and the 2 pin white connector that previously went to the purple connector is meant to go there? Also, I'm assuming the single blue wire is usable as a remote turn on lead? There is zero documentation available, although for the most part, it's self explanatory.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand »

On the 4-pin black data cable that runs between the AR and the Kenwood, try giving the black wire on the AR side its own ground. We have seen problems with this (kenwood is supposed to send a ground, but if it is not sufficient, the AR cannot turn on).
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep”