FJ Cruiser RR / TO1 Install Questions

patbonfils
New User

FJ Cruiser RR / TO1 Install Questions

Post by patbonfils » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:58 pm

I am using the Maestro Rr and TO1 with a Pioneer AVIC-5201NEX to replace the stock radio in my 2014 FJ Cruiser. I do not have the JBL system, but I do have an alpine amp driving a subwoofer.

I first want to confirm that the ltgreen E-BRAKE wire from the radio does NOT connect to the TO1, but rather connects to the vehicle E-BRAKE.

Second, I want to confirm that the FOOT BRAKE wire on the TO1 is a no-connect for this radio.

Third, I want to turn the alpine subwoofer amp on/off when the radio is on/off. The radio install instructions state that I should use the blue / white wire from the radio to do that. But, the TO1 instructions state that I should connect that wire to the TO1. Do I connect that radio output to both the amp and the TO1?

Fourth, once the Rr is installed in the vehicle, is there any way to re-flash the memory without removing it from the vehicle for connection to a PC?

Finally, the 2014 FJ Cruiser has a USB / AUX input on the console. I assume that the TO1 Aux In interfaces the Aux stereo connector to the radio. But, is the USB port connected? Assuming not, any advice for connecting that USB connector to the radio?

Thanks,
P. Bonfils

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Re: FJ Cruiser RR / TO1 Install Questions

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:57 am

In this vehicle, you could do either. I would recommend hooking it directly from the radio to the parking brake of the vehicle.

Do not connect the foot brake.

If you don't have an OEM amplifier, the blue/white on the TO1 does not need to be connected. You can simply hook the blue/white of the radio to the Alpine.

To re-flash, it needs to have all vehicle power removed from it. You can either disconnect the power and data from the RR and re-flash, pull the fuse in the vehicle that power the radio circuit, or disconnect the vehicle's battery.

The USB port is retained through the data lines. You don't need to do anything with the wiring for it to work.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

patbonfils
New User

Post by patbonfils » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Thank you Dara. I'm surprised that the USB port is retained, but delighted. One further question: The Pioneer AVIC-5201 NEX unit has two USB ports. I have installed a new USB port on my console. Does it matter which of the two USB ports I connect to on the 5201? If I wanted, could I connect both 5201 USB ports to have a total of 3?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:56 pm

It shouldn't matter. We retain the factory USB digitally, so the other two on the Pioneer are extras, and you can do whatever you like with them.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

patbonfils
New User

Post by patbonfils » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:47 am

Thank you for your help. I got the installation done just in time for my vacation. I found two issues though.

1) While the Pioneer 5201NEX does indeed list the AUX USB input (which I think is the OEM USB input on the console), I have not found that I can insert a USB memory stick and play lossless files (wav) from it. Have not tried any other formats, such as MP3.

2) The steering wheel buttons do not appear to do anything at all. OBD data works fine (gauges), radio works fine, but there is no apparent action when keying any of the buttons (press or hold). Where should I start troubleshooting?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:12 am

1- That factory USB port should work exactly like the factory. You may try using a more universal file format to see if that reads.

2- Look at the assembly of the harness. In the TO1 harness, the box has 2 small pigtails (a 20-pin and a 28-pin plug). You need to find the one that fits your vehicle, plug it into the vehicle, and clip the other end into the TO1 harness. If you don't do this, the steering wheel controls will not work, because no signal is getting from the vehicle to the maestro. That's the most common issue we see with Toyota. Also, make sure you do not have anything plugged in where it says W/R on the Pioneer.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

patbonfils
New User

Post by patbonfils » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:51 am

Thank you. All is now working.

Return to “TO1 radio replacement solution”