Loss of cruise control after RR install???

R1_Demon
New User

Loss of cruise control after RR install???

Post by R1_Demon »

Hello,

Ok, here is the deal. I finally got a chance to install my Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX radio into my 2007 Chevy Tahoe LT with factory amp. I had to try several times to flash my Maestro RR controller as it kept stating that it couldn't flash the EEPROM of the controller. Then it would say that it couldn't see the controller at all. I tried two different USB ports and two different USB cables (including the one provided with the Maestro RR).

I finally got it to flash and it said "flash completed". I then took it out to the Tahoe and proceeded to plug in the wiring harnesses. Upon trying to set all of the wires into the dash, one of the plugs must have come out of the Maestro RR. It then said for a connection status on the radio that the iDatalink connection was "NOK", I'm guessing for "not OK". I also did not get any sound out of the speakers at this time, but it appeared everything else worked.

I then plugged in the green plug that came out during install and the Maestro RR kept flashing a red light (slow blink), so I figured I needed to pull all the plugs, hold down the button and plug all the plugs back in. I did that. Upon doing that I tested the steering wheel controls and they weren't set the way I set them when I flashed the Maestro RR. Especially if you pressed (or held) the volume up button, it did nothing. Weird.

So, I figured this was because I pushed the button down to reset it and it removed my "flashed" preferences. I then disconnected the Maestro RR again, went inside and played around for almost 20 minutes trying to flash the Maestro RR again (same issues as reported above). I finally got it to say "flash successful/completed". Took it back out to the Tahoe, plugged all of the connectors back in (did not press the button) and then tested again. (this time leaving it sit right out in the open and didn't push any wires into the dash)

Now, the radio said the iDatalink connection was "OK" and the Maestro RR would blink green when the power was turned on. I then had sound coming from the speakers and tested the steering wheel controls and the steering wheel controls were exactly the same as before. They didn't match how I set them during the flash. I don't get it. I finally said screw it, I got sound and I could just "deal with" the buttons not being correct. I put everything back together as it appeared correct. I then updated the Pioneer firmware and BlueTooth firmware on the radio to the latest versions.

Now upon driving to work today and really using the radio for the first time, I found out that I have lost my cruise control options. They didn't work at all. It wouldn't come on or do anything. It worked prior to me putting in the Maestro RR and radio, so I don't see why it wouldn't work after.

Any thoughts? I use my cruise a lot on the freeway and it will suck if I have to lose my cruise just because I put in a new radio. Plus, the info on the Maestro RR says that it won't affect the cruise controls at all. So, something is wrong. I didn't unplug anything weird or anything when wiring in the radio. I made sure of it. I also have the OBD-II plug, plugged into the OBD-II connector and it is reading the gauges and such correctly. I didn't tap into the wires because I figured it wasn't necessary if I could just use the plug to plug into the factory OBD-II connector.

What do I need to do to get this Maestro RR to work correctly and to get my cruise controls back? I guess I shouldn't have buttoned everything back up until I was positive that absolutely everything worked, but I didn't think it would affect my cruise control at all, but it did.

Thanks,
Mat G.
Mat
2007 Chevy Tahoe LT w/Bose system, OnStar and SiriusXM
Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX (coming up)
Boyo backup camera (coming up)

billr
ADS Team

Re: Loss of cruise control after RR install???

Post by billr »

Mat,
Based on the info I see in our system something still didn't go right with the flashing process. I would recommend when you get a chance to call us up when you are able to flash the Maestro again and we can see real time if there is any issues or if the flash completes correctly.

R1_Demon
New User

Post by R1_Demon »

Bill,

For part of my initial post...I'm a complete moron. :lol: The cruise controls work fine. I was a moron and forgot to turn the cruise control back on. LOL!!! I'm so used to leaving it turned on that I just click "set" on the steering wheel and the cruise is on and set to the speed I want. This afternoon I looked down and realized the cruise control light wasn't on, I pressed the button to turn on the cruise and poof, it works as normal. I'm an idiot. Sorry about that. :lol: :oops:

However, admittedly, the issue still stays the same with the setting of the volume and other steering wheel controls via the Maestro RR. I did forget to mention, however, I had to flash the unit via Windows 10 on a Mac running Parallels 13. Would this make a difference? Would this cause a problem with the flashing of the Maestro RR even if it said it flashed completely? Sorry, I totally forgot that part when writing my initial post. I was too worried about the cruise control. LOL

Thanks,
Mat G.
Mat

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Post by Zack Flynn »

It needs to be flashed on a Windows PC, unfortunately trying to do so thru parallels on a MAC wont work.
Zack Flynn
ILF Consulting LLC
MECP Master Installation Technician and SME

R1_Demon
New User

Post by R1_Demon »

Zack,

Ok, thank you. I'm looking into getting a used "true" PC with Windows 10 to accomplish this. I'm sure that will fix my problem. Thank you for letting me know.
Mat

Return to “GM5+ radio replacement solution”