Alpine Head Unit Not Recognizing RR

Steering Wheel & Radio Replacement Combo
NickJ2545
New User

Alpine Head Unit Not Recognizing RR

Post by NickJ2545 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Vehicle: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited (with factory amplifier)
Head Unit: Alpine ILX-207 with Maestro RR

Background: I purchased this setup a year ago. I had a few issues with getting everything to work on the initial install, so I reached out to you guys and was instructed to follow the diagrams on the NASIOC forums for a WRX. I flashed it as a WRX and was able to get steering wheel control and gauges working fine.

Fast Foward to today- I pulled my head unit out and updated the software. I also figured while everything was out, I'd try to update the Maestro RR unit to the latest firmware and change it to a Subaru BRZ since I know there have been a few updates. Now, the head unit doesn't recognize the module and nothing works at all(I have tried both the WRX firmware and BRZ firmware). I noticed during the module flash process, it forces you to select a pre-designated harness. When I purchased the unit, the TO1 harness wasn't compatible with the 2017 BRZ and I had to purchase a few different harnesses to create my own to get everything to work.

Could it be an issue with the new firmware wanting everything to communicate through the TO1 harness? I am only using the power supply port, idatalink port and main harness 'A' port on the Maestro RR unit. I don't want to buy and redo another harness. All of the connections are great as I soldered and did heat shrink tubing. Is it possible to get a copy of the old software to roll it back to? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Zack Flynn
ADS Team

Re: Alpine Head Unit Not Recognizing RR

Post by Zack Flynn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:02 pm

The newer firmwares require the use of the vehicle specific harness because we get vehicle information for the CAN networks in the harness that were not connected in the previous install types.
Zack Flynn
Automotive Data Solutions
Technical Support & MECP Master Installation Technician
Zachary.flynn@adsdata.ca

NickJ2545
New User

Post by NickJ2545 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:00 pm

The more research I have done, the more it looks like the 2017 BRZ is one of the more problematic installs for the RR with the harness as it combines a hybrid of the Toyota and the Subaru wiring.

Do you have a list of what each individual wire is in the 28-Pin connector in the T01 harness? I picked one up and noticed a few missing ones from how I had it hardwired- namely the amp turn on and power for the camera. I have the exact diagrams at home, but the amp turn on is six from the right on the top row of the 28-pin connector and the camera is a few pins right of that- which are blank in this harness. It looks like I am going to have to re-pin a lot of this to get it to work.

I also want to bypass the OBD connector that comes with the harness. There is a CAN BUS connector right behind the glove box that I have been using. I need to the OBD connector free to be able to collect data and load different tuning maps. I had (doing this from memory) the brown/red and brown yellow directly wired to another 6-Pin harness that connected directly to the plug behind the glove box. On the T01 harness, there are three different wires that run to the OBD connection. I want to be able to remove the OBD plug and run it to the setup I have, what is the purpose of the third wire and can I just ignore it?

Like I mentioned above, I followed the exact wiring diagrams for a Subaru WRX to get it to work. Is this something that should realistically be used with the new SU-2 harness?

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:48 am

We've been looking into switching the BRZ to the SU2 harness. From the research we've done, we believe it should work, but we haven't been able to validate it on a vehicle yet. I would recommend purchasing the Su2 harness and flashing as a 17 WRX.
Dara DeGrand
Maestro Technical Support Manager
Automotive Data Solutions Inc.
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

NickJ2545
New User

Post by NickJ2545 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:32 pm

I would be happy to be the test dummy on a SU-2 harness for the 17 BRZ. My only issue is I already invested in a hardwire setup(which is obsolete) and a T-01 harness that isn't going to work unless I modify it by quite a bit. I'm not comfortable running out and buying a third wiring/harness setup under the impression it *should* work since I already have two setups that don't.

If you have a pin diagram for what the 28-pin adapter does in the T-01 set, that would help out the most. My plan is I cut the 28-pin off on the T-01 harness and re-wire the 28-pin one I have from the hardwired setup. This will feed everything where it needs to go- plus I will have the spots for the camera power and remote turn-on. Trying to re-pin the harness in the box won't work as I don't have any extra pins that fit that harness.

It also looks like I can remove the OBD plug and hardwire the brown/red and brown yellow to the plug I was already using behind the dash. The third wire feeds vehicle data such as what doors are open, battery voltage and TPMS (which I don't have), so I don't really need it.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:25 pm

We don't have a pinout of what the wires in each harness does, because the outputs are programmable and can vary from car to car. I am happy to send you a SU2 harness on us. If you're up for that, please send me a PM with your name and address and I will have one shipped out to you.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

NickJ2545
New User

Post by NickJ2545 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:41 pm

If you are willing to ship one out, that would be awesome. I'll do an install write-up and post on the ft86 forums for reference.

I was really hoping the pinout option would work, but I understand why it doesn't. Any chance I could remove the OBD plug and just hardwire it to a plug behind the glove box? It was how I had it setup before and I really don't care about the vehicle data tab- just the gauges (Boost, AFR, Oil Temp and Coolant Temp).

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:23 pm

We haven't tested the can there, so if you aren't getting full HS can back there, you might be missing some information or messages we need for our solution to function correctly. I recommend just hardwiring the wires to the back of the OBD2 connector. That way we'll be getting the signal at a place where we know it's good, and you will still have the OBD2 port available.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

NickJ2545
New User

Post by NickJ2545 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:06 pm

I received the harness (thanks again!!!) and wired it up as per the WRX diagram with Harmon Kardon. Much easier to follow than the T01 harness. There are a few issues I am running into.

First one- factory amp still isn't turning on. On the hardwired setup, factory amp signal is sent through Pin 9 on the 28-pin Subaru connection. On the SU2 harness, there is a red/brown wire in that location. If I follow the Blue/White remote wire on the SU2 harness for the remote/amp turn-on, it goes to the 10-Pin harness (specifically Pin 6). Pin 6 on my hardwire setup gets looped to pin 7 on the 10-Pin which is the power antenna wire, so it appears the remote turn on for the BRZ is essentially not going anywhere on the SU2 harness.

Second (this one isn't a very big deal)- when I had everything hardwired, I could turn-on the back-up camera at any time. While in reverse, the back-up camera displays the image just fine. When I am moving or driving, the camera screen is black if I attempt to access it while in motion. Again, not a big deal, just a difference I have noticed.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:48 pm

We're looking into the amp turn-on wire. It's possible that this car's amp turn-on is pinned in a totally different place than all the other Subarus. As for the power antenna wire, that was a harness design error, which we have fixed in our most updated version.

As for the camera, we have to power it off of a different output than we do in the toyota solution. Because of that, it isn't capable of having power all the time.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

NickJ2545
New User

Post by NickJ2545 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks for the update. I am going from memory, but the only difference between the 2016 WRX and the 2017 BRZ limited on the 28-pin harness was the remote/amp turn on located on pin #9 for the BRZ. Everything else was the same on the 28 pin harness.

Let me know what else you need to push things along. I don't have any of my trim installed so I have easy access to pull things out.

Thanks!

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:04 pm

I don't know that we need anything else. We did find that the amp turn-on in this car is the same location you would find a can wire in the other Subarus. Past wiring around that, if everything is working for you, you're welcome to re-assemble and enjoy.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

NickJ2545
New User

Post by NickJ2545 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:41 pm

I ended up running the remote wire from the head unit harness to the brown wire w/red stripe on the 28-pin connector on the SU2 harness. I cut the brown/red wire near the 28-pin connector and connected the remote wire there. Everything now works just fine- amp turn-on, camera and gauges/vehicle data.

Based on my little experience so far, the SU 2 harness is completely plug and play with the exception of running the remote turn on wire. I haven't been able to monitor if there is any battery drainage issues that BRZ owners have experienced with the T01 harness.

Dara DeGrand
ADS Team

Post by Dara DeGrand » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:38 pm

I can guarantee you there won't be. That is only going to happen with the Toyota harness. Because the SU2 is configured very differently, this isn't an issue in this harness/firmware.
Dara DeGrand
8400 Bougainville, QC
T 514.807.2888
TF 866.427.2999

Return to “Maestro RR”